The National Film Archive Library
- The NFA Library was founded in 1943 and has the largest film literature collection in the Czech Republic.
- The library fund contents at present 118.000 library units. Its collections are intended for stable storing and it is created by documents not only about the Czech cinematography from its early beginning till today, but also selectively foreign cinematography and other art branches. The NFA library owns many unique sources, for instance manuscripts of screenplays, film periodicals from the thirties of the 20th century, unpublished book manuscripts, materials from film festivals and shows, tutors lectures, annual reports of film institutions. Richly presented are memoirs and biographical literature, monographies, picture-books, filmed imaginative literature, textbooks, seminars proceedings and factual literature. Absolutely unique is the collection of clippings from Czech newspapers containing ten thousands articles with film subjects. At present the library has subscriptions for 100 periodical titles and owns large collection of film periodicals local and foreign origin from the last century.
- The library is open for public in loan hours.
- There is a study room available for users with 6 places for study, 2 places for PC and Internet work and one workplace for work with micro documents. Majority of documents (screenplays, clippings) is in Czech and are intended for presence study. 85 percent of fund is stored out of Prague therefore it is necessary to order the literature one week ahead at least.
- On-line catalogue lays open in Czech and English versions. At present contains about 147.000 detailed annotated bibliographic entries of books, articles, screenplays, periodicals and other documents. Further are in the library accessible available other information sources like film databases (American Film Institute Catalogue and Film Index International), fulltext databases (FIAF Plus Text and Film and Television Literature Index with Full Text) and reach reference library. Library is creating and makes available an on-line database of film authorities (personalities, actions, films, corporations).
- The library informs regularly on news in funds of film journals Iluminace and Filmový přehled.
- Big attention is paid to preservation of endangered documents and correct fund storing. The library was digitalised and made available 320.000 pages from its collections in the Digital Library of the NFA. The NFA Library takes part in many national and international projects (e.g. EFG, Kramerius, FIAF P.I.P.) and NFA editing projects.
Czech Feature Films 1898 - 1970
Finding Moving Images in European Collections